Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Enter His Gates With Thanksgiving!

In the past month, God has really laid one word on my heart and mind.  That one simple little word would be "THANKFUL".  As we celebrated our first year anniversary on October 22, God began speaking this word to me over and over again until it has saturated my life.  Our first year of marriage has literally flown by and been a bit hectic, to say the least, but God has been so good and faithful to us in every situation.  There is NO denying His guiding hand on our lives and on our marriage.  So, as we kicked off year two of marriage, I was so very humbled with thanks.  We know we are blessed and where our blessings have come from, but it is yet another thing to really and truly be thankful for those blessings.  That thankful heart and awakening has continued to change my attitude and shift my perspective over the past thirty days.  I believe that mindset has had a big part in unlocking God's blessings and favor into our lives.

The first week of this month, God did some BIG things in our life.  Many prayers we have been praying for months were all answered at once.  Big, huge and looming mountains were moved in a single day.  I think that one day, we will look back and we will say this particular week in November is when God changed everything in our lives and marriage.  For our good and for HIS good.  I don't believe in coincidences.  I know it was all God and I know that He made sure we knew it was Him as well!  By being thankful in advance and praising Him even when our prayers hadn't been answered yet, we unlocked the doors of His favor and blessings.  Instead of praying in desperation or frustration, we began to pray in thanks and anticipation.  Big difference!

That week of mountains-being-moved, I was just so giddy in my spirit that it took me a few days to realize another deeper meaning that I had originally missed with all the excitement and "You Go God" moments.  When I finally slowed down to look at a calendar, I was taken aback by the date.  November three years ago was a very painful time in my life (that's an understatement!).  And particularly, the first weekend in November because that was when my whole world got turned upside down.  All of a sudden, I went from being married with a 10 year plan to eventually divorced with not even a 10 minute plan.  You don't forget those life-changing moments.  But, isn't it just like God to take away a memory of the very worst time of your life and replace it with a life-altering happy miracle?  Talk about redeeming the past...!  God truly can make the slate 100% clean in every way.  Only God!!!

Both Novembers in my life, I was brought to my knees by my situation.  Only this time, it was in praise and thanksgiving!  Tears being shed this time for how good God has been to me and how He alone has restored in abundance all I lost in the past.  Not only did He restore...He made it WAY better.  Three years ago, I hoped for that but honestly, just couldn't fathom how He would, could or even should do what He promised; but I held on to that small mustard seed of faith and sat back and let Him work.  He had such a greater plan than I could have ever dared to ask for or imagine, just as His Word says.  I read and prayed that verse so many times for encouragement that there is probably a hole in my Bible on that page!  But when you finally live it and see His hand on you and the fruition of His promise come to life, well that's faith building to say the least!  All the things in the past that I thought were over and done with, I'm learning that God is having the final say and He's saying the best is yet to come!

This Thanksgiving, we as a family will give thanks for so many things!  We are excited about what God will do in this next season of our lives and we wait in hopeful anticipation for His plans to continue to unfold in our lives.  We serve an awesome God!

Psalm 100:4
Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to HIM and praise His Name.

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless from the Neely Family,
JOY

No comments:

Post a Comment