Monday, March 14, 2011

Redeeming Love

As people share their stories and open their hearts to me, I always have such sympathy for the pain they are going through and it takes me back to the days when I was in their shoes.  I can relate to their pain and I remember those days, yet I no longer cry my eyes out when I think back on my trials.  It happened, and I'm sad it happened...but it doesn't control my emotions anymore.  Quite the opposite in fact.  At the time, there were people in my life who had walked this road ahead of me who were able to mentor and encourage me, so I'm all too humbled to be able to be do the same and encourage others in the midst of their struggles.  As of late, the overwhelming thought that is bouncing around in my head as I discuss trials with different individuals is...redemption.

You see, when you are in a trial of any kind, it's pretty tough to think about next year, much less tomorrow.  You are so wrapped up in your grief, pain, and hurt, that you just can't imagine how life will ever be different.  And that's okay.  You must walk through the pain to learn the lessons and grow in the Lord.  It can't be avoided or short cycled as much as we wish it could!  I remember standing in my driveway watching my ex drive away packed down with all his stuff and being hit in the face with the fact that my marriage is over...and I remember thinking in that moment that life as I knew it would never be the same.  I felt I had my chance and I blew it...game over.  And I remember being very frightened by the unknown.  But you know what?  I was partially right that day.  My life is NOT the same...it's actually better than it was before if you can believe that.  As healing and acceptance occurs, we begin to move out of that pain, and we begin to be changed and transformed and allow God to work in our lives (which He's probably been waiting to do all along).  And that's a wonderful thing.

As I look back on the last year and a half of my life, some days, it almost seems like it happened to someone else.  I mean that because I really don't remember the pain now that I thought would never leave at the time.  I seriously couldn't fathom how I could ever even laugh again.  Sure I still remember what happened, but I don't focus on the hurt or disappointment or the shame in those moments any longer.  It really is a distant memory.  I thought it would take YEARS to feel this way, but it hasn't.  And that's a God thing.  That was a season of my life that was very necessary unfortunately, but it doesn't mean I have to stay in it.  At this point, I see God's hand and redemptive mercy all over my life and that's just an amazing thing.  I sometimes stop and reflect back on to where I was at this point even a year ago...and I cannot believe that life could be this good and full of joy in such a relatively short amount of time.  It's only because of God's redeeming love for me that got me from point A to point B.

Psalm 107:1-3
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.
Let the redeemed of the LORD tell their story—
those he redeemed from the hand of the foe,
those he gathered from the lands,
from east and west, from north and south.

For those of you going through a trial right now, I'm so very sorry.  I've been there and I do understand and I'm not making light of your pain and suffering...but take it from one who has been down the same road...it will get better.  When you are in the middle of the fight, you can't see how life can actually turn out better, but if you trust in the Lord and submit to His will, His word says the pain will be redeemed!  Put your hope and trust in Him and lean not on your own understanding but on His bigger picture plan.  I know that one day, you too will realize that you no longer are wrapped up in the pain and all of a sudden, you realize you are living again.  Second chances and redemption will come...and not a moment too late.

Habakkuk 2:3
For the revelation awaits an appointed time;

it speaks of the end
and will not prove false.
Though it linger, wait for it;
it will certainly come
and will not delay. 

Hoping for the hurting,

JOY

3 comments:

  1. You are truly Joy. Thank you for standing beside me while I'm hurting and healing. I love you and I'm so honored to witness this season in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna...it has been my pleasure...and I'm honored to witness THIS season in your life!!! I thought of you when I posted "our verse"...Habakkuk 2:3...and you know I believe it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Jenna (have no idea why it won't publish but it's good so I'm going to make sure it gets on here!):

    "Believing He is a God of redemption-- whether it is a marriage that is redeemed or a person who is-- can be a struggle. Believing that what He says (Truth) outweighs what can be seen (Fact)is a lot easier theoretically or on paper (scripture) than it is to walk it out. Taking a step of faith while loved ones try to protect you from pain can be a tricky process. But He can and will REDEEM! I know it. I KNOW it."

    I know it too girl...well said!

    ReplyDelete