Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Made to Worship

As I have matured in my faith over the years, so have my worship experiences.  For me, that has been a slow process because, hey, I was raised in the baptist church!  If you clapped or heaven forbid, raised your hands while singing, you were going to get labeled the "holy roller" chick for life!  So, over the years, I've had to overcome that sort of stigma from my past but I'm happy to say those chains have been broken and I'm free to worship in any way I feel so inclined.  I feel there are different levels of worship that I have encountered...all forms of worship, just some are more intense than others and feel more "connected" spiritually.

With that being said, I was fortunate enough to attend the "Desperation Conference" at New Life Church last week in Colorado Springs.  Although geared for youth, I walked away with probably more than they did from the week!  (To see a few thousand kids worshipping the Lord with whole hearts, unashamed, unhindered and glorifying God...well, if that doesn't light your fire, your wood is wet!  It reminded me we should all have that innocence to not care what others think and really worship the Lord as He so desires!) The conference was jammed packed with awesome times of worship by very gifted musicians.  To set the scene, it was a super cool Christian concert of sorts three times a day with heart-pounding music, combined with fog and light shows, which added to the intensity (definitely not your run of the mill worship experience).  The final singer to close out the week was Kari Jobe.  If you don't know who she is...well stop right now and go download some of her music!  She is so annointed and gifted and she has a voice that must sound like an angel.  She is such a tiny little thing but what a powerful voice!

She closed her set with "Revelation Song," which carried me into one of the most powerful moments of worship I have ever experienced.  As I sang with my hands raised high and eyes closed, it felt like the rest of the room just fell away.  I was the only one there and I was in a vaccuum of sorts...just me and the Lord.  One part of the song says "Holy, holy, Is the Lord Almighty"...while I was singing that phrase, the spot lights literally landed on me and didn't just dance over me but stood in place for what seemed like minutes but I'm sure was merely seconds.  My eyes were closed but I could still feel the lights so bright on me that I literally felt warm, like I was standing facing the noon day sun.  I could see the intensity of the lights as if my eyes were wide open.  As she sang, I forgot it was Kari Jobe; I really seemed to be a heavenly, angelic voice ushering me into the Lord's presence.  It made me think of the scene described in Isaiah 6:

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.  And they were calling to one another:

Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.”

In that moment, as crazy as it may sound, I got a glimpse of heaven.  Worshipping our Lord with one voice, praising Him singing Holy, Holy, Holy and feeling the light of the SON, aka Jesus, shine and illuminate the heavens and create a warmth in us that feels like a loving embrace.  To sum it up, it was a supernatural experience right in the middle of a crowded room full of teens jumping up and down all around me.  But for me, it was a one-on-one time of praise.

Even though the actual experience lasted but a moment, the impression left on me will last a lifetime.  We were MADE to worship the Lord and praise Him!  One day, I will worship in that way ALL OF THE TIME.  I don't have to hang on to a glimpse or a glimmer that the Lord revealed to me last week...I can look forward to spending all eternity praising the Lord.

How sweet is that?! 

JOY

No comments:

Post a Comment