Friday, July 1, 2011

Resources to Help You Through the Troubled Times

People that know me, know that I LOVE to read and I can devour a book in no time!  One of the things that helped me get through some tough times was reading encouraging, Christian books that others would recommend to me.  Often, I'm asked about resources and I'm all to happy to pass on what inspired me and how God used those particular resources to help me look at my situation differently.  Today, I would like to share several with you in hopes that you might pick something up that God will use to speak directly to you. 

BOOKS:

1.  The Holy Bible:  You didn't think I would leave THIS one out did you? :)  Daily, focused reading time of the Word changed my life in so many ways, and I learned that the Word of the Lord really does still speak.  Don't spend more time with any other resource than this one!
2.  I Do Again, by Jeff and Cheryl Scruggs:  You may have heard of them from the "I Am Second" campaign.  A POWERFUL read on how God can and will restore a marriage, even after adultery, if both lives are submitted to Christ. 
3.  Sacred Marriage, by Gary Thomas:  This book will help you look at marriage in a whole new way...what if marriage is really a path to holiness and not necessarily our happiness?
4.  Crazy Love, by Francis Chan:  This book does a great job of showing how much our God loves us...more than we will ever be able to understand!
5. Love and Respect, by Emerson Eggerichs:  This book is a MUST READ for all couples!  It breaks down the difference between men and women and lines out a marriage biblically.  A man needs respect and a woman needs love first and foremost...everything else falls into place out of that.
6.  Sun Stand Still, by Steven Furtick:  The book that literally changed my prayer life and my faith.  I can't say enough good about it!
7.  Invisible War:  What every believer needs to know about Satan, by Chip Ingram:  Great resource to understand spiritual warfare better and what is going on behind the scenes and how to better equip yourself for the battle.
8.  A Man Worth Waiting For:  How to Avoid a Bozo, by Jackie Kendall:  Great book for dating and preparing yourself for a future mate...how to recognize a Bozo vs a Boaz!  The most powerful statement in the book..."you attract where you are at"...Wow!
9.  The Ragamufin Gospel, by Brennan Manning:  Every believer should read this book...another one that literally changed my life.  What an annointed man!
10.  Healing Your Marriage When Trust is Broken, by Cindy Beall (releases TODAY!):  I'm so very excited to read this book as it's written by a mentor of mine.  This book culminates an 8 year journey and how God can repair what the world would say is irreversible damage...but when two hearts are submitted to God, we should expect the unexpected!  Support my friend and go pick up a copy!
11.  Any book by Craig Groeschel, pastor of Lifechurchtv.com in Oklahoma:  I really enjoyed The Christian Aetheist, Going All the Way: Preparing for a Marriage that Goes the Distance and I'm currently reading his new book Weird: Because Normal isn't Working and next up is Chazown.  Every book is good and they do NOT disappoint!
12.  Any book by Mark Batterson, pastor of National Community Church in DC:  In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day, Primal, Soulprint, Wild Goose Chase.  All great books and again, a very insightful pastor that helps stretch you as a believer.

Websites:

1.  http://www.rejoiceministries.com/ :  Great resource for those standing in the gap for their marriages.  Great daily email devotion as well
2.  http://www.cindybeall.com/ :  Same person from #10 book above.  Very good daily blog as well as a 4 part video series on her website that details her and her husband's testimony.  Great for anyone struggling with marriage issues.
3.  http://www.stevenfurtick.com/ :  Pastor from North Carolina, author of book #6 above.  Wonderful daily blog with sound spiritual wisdom/teaching that will help build your faith in the Lord.
4.  www.jonacuff.com/stuffchristianslike :  For the days you just need a good laugh!  This guy has great comedic timing in his writing and seems like he must read my mind at times!  Who said being a Christian can't be fun?!
5.  http://www.proverbs31.org/ :  Great daily email devotion and resource on how to be that Proverbs 31 woman we all desire to be
6.  http://www.purposedrivenlife.com/ : Wonderful daily email devotion from Rick Warren that is always insightful and timely

Those are just a few of my faves and I hope maybe one or two of the above will inspire you and encourage you, whatever stage of life you may be currently in.  The best advice someone spoke to me back then still stands today, "Be sure to surround yourself with Godly influences, whether that be reading material, TV, radio or friends.  You never know which way God will choose to speak to you!"

Have a safe and blessed 4th of July!

JOY

No comments:

Post a Comment