Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Faith. Hope. Love.

Back in June, I wrote a blog on the day of what would have been my 8 year anniversary titled, "With This Ring" (http://joyisbell.blogspot.com/2010/06/with-this-ring.html), which talked about why I wore my wedding ring and how much my marriage had meant to me.  It was very honest, emotional, and personal to me as anything I've ever written then or since.  Nothing has changed regarding the way I feel regarding my past but about a month ago, I had a very personal encounter with God regarding the wearing of that particular ring.  At that time, I was released from wearing it by a chain of bizarre events that were God ordained.  I would love to tell the story because it was definitely a "in the presence of the Lord" experience, but because it would affect another person if I told the whole story, I feel it is best to keep that to myself (sorry, my whole life isn't an open book!).  I will tell you that ring must have had strings attached to my heart because its removal was painful.  The ring was beautiful but more than that...it held so much meaning to me regarding my covenant relationship and to be honest, I never had imagined a day that it would have ever been removed.  Through that process, I saw that it is much easier to hold on to something that you know and understand, even if it is painful, than to let it go and step into a new dimension where you have no idea what is next.  But, I've learned it is best to be obedient when the Lord instructs you so specifically.

After the removal of that ring, I just felt...naked to be quite honest.  I never took it off in all those years, minus a few times it was at the jeweler having some maintenance.  It was part of me in a strange way and I just felt the loss all over again after it was no longer there.  Like...this is really happening.  Another gut check, another blow, another dream dissolved into ashes.

So, during the past few weeks I felt led to purchase a new ring, but one that meant just as much to me as the one before and was a symbol of this stage of my life.  I looked, I shopped, I pondered and then one day I was stuck in traffic after a doctor's appointment, and I looked over and saw a James Avery store.  That's it!  I pulled in and went inside and started shopping.  And you guessed it...I found the perfect ring.  It's a wide gold band inscribed in all caps...FAITH, HOPE, LOVE...which is written encompassing the whole ring so you really can only see one word at a time.  No diamonds, no bling, plain, simple and perfect.  They had to order my size so I had to wait a week...but I finally picked it up last week.  I almost felt like performing a little ceremony when I put it on!  To be honest, it was an emotional moment for me.  To me, this ring symbolizes a new convenant and this time, it is to my Lord and Savior, dedicating the next part of my life to His service and for His glory.  A simple reminder to not forget what He has brought me through, as well as where He's about to take me!

1 Corinthians 13:13 But now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

When I glance at the ring throughout the day, it's often turned to a different word and it's a very cool reminder to me of what God is doing and wants to do in my life.  At different times, the words mean different things.  Sometimes, it is a reminder of the faith, the hope, the love that the Lord has instilled in me and shown me through this journey.  Other times, it encourages me to look ahead for the new hope, the new faith, and the new love that the Lord is bringing into my life.  And it's always a reminder that these three little words represent huge things for the Kingdom.  Without these three things, we would be lost.  But because of these three things, we can enjoy joyful abundance as the Lord so intended.

Faith.  Hope.  Love.  'Nuf said.

In Christ Alone,


Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment