Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thorn in My Side

As I have shared, I'm headed to Haiti in 10 days (note to self, I must start packing!)...I have asked for prayer and support and I think I even said that I know I will come under attack because I am trying to do something for the Kingdom and I expect that. First off, let me just say I am BRILLIANT because that was a moment of foreshadowing. Just kidding...I just know what God's word promises us. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perserverance. Perserverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:2-3) Remember my comment about a dog not barking at a parked car? Well, let me just say, this week, I have a pit bull barking and chasing me, frothing at the mouth, so I must really be moving and a threat to the enemy!

Let me just tell you a few things that have happened in the past few days...as a background, we are one employee short at my office because our beloved Trisha had her baby last week and is out for a while on maternity leave of course. Even though the baby was 6 weeks early and it was a suprise, we were ready for it and we are all just relieved that baby Harmon and Trish are doing great! Soooo, yesterday, I had an employee out of the blue just not show up for work and then quit today--no notice--all through a text message no less. For reals??? When I got that text this morning, honestly, I started laughing! I just said, outloud, "Good try but not today devil!" Now, as a side note, if this had happened 6+ months ago, I probably would have thrown my phone across the room, stormed around the house, gone on a rant, got my blood pressure up and boiling, and just would have been good and mad. But my anger issues and how that was a stronghold in my life is a blog for another day. Today, however, I recognized it as an attack and just a nuisance and another pain in my side. Remember Paul?

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, I am strong.

Preach it Paul!!! On top of the employee situation, we also are having an open house for our kennel this Thursday. It is calling for rain on Thursday now...did I mention that most of everything we have planned is to be outside??? Oh, and did I mention that when I woke up this morning, before I got the "I quit" text, that my dog had thrown up all over the house over night and was sick? And, did I mention that I started having a tooth ache on Sunday but have no time to have it looked at before my Haiti trip? I'm not saying these nuisances are equal to the "thorn in Paul's flesh" but they are just a pain in my rear!

I'm just turning all of this "stuff" over to the Lord and He will work it out. No point in losing sleep over it. He's got a plan and I guarantee you, it's a good one! I'm just following Him and casting all my cares and troubles upon Him. He can carry it. I know I'm on to something good or I wouldn't be getting chased! So, instead of being worried, I am EXCITED! You know, I'm not supposed to understand all the "why's" of this life...I'm just supposed to trust God with the details!

Proverbs 20:24 A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way?

Thorn in my side but not in my heart!

JOY

1 comment:

  1. JOY, I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU AND THE WALK YOU ARE IN W/THE LORD. ROY AND I ARE PUTTING YOU ON OUR MORNING PRAYER LIST FOR YOUR TRIP TO HAITI. PRAY ON GIRL!

    ReplyDelete